Connie Ray Stockham
Since entering the University of Alabama School of Law in 1976, Connie Ray Stockham has been committed to excellence in learning and practicing law. Serving as the Vice President of the Student Government Association of the University of Alabama during her first year of law school, Connie quickly learned how to manage leadership and academic endeavors. Honored to serve as a law clerk for Federal Judge James Hancock on completion of law school, she saw firsthand the importance of clarity in communications and ethical advocacy.
On her entry to the practice of law, Connie learned she thrived on the challenging and rapidly evolving torts of bad faith, fraud and products liability. She also became recognized as the rare breed of lawyer who does both trial work and insurance coverage work. Now having practiced law for forty years, Connie has served as lead attorney in a broad range of complex litigated matters, ranging from bad faith and invasion of privacy to products liability, mass tort and environmental actions, insurance coverage and contractual disputes, reinsurance, construction matters, medical, nursing home and pharmaceutical malpractice and personal injury and death cases of many types. Having handled over forty appellate cases, she is called on regularly to take on cases after an adverse judgment to handle appeal and retrial. Her commitment to her clients and experience crucially inform her work before juries and appellate courts.
Since 2002, Connie has served as adjunct faculty with the University Honors Program of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, offering law and bioethics related seminars. “Body Snatching to Organ Donation - Autonomy and Justice in Conflict and Balance” is one of the many well-received courses she has designed and taught.
Connie is married to Richard Stockham, a fellow lawyer who is also an artist. Their son Nate is in a Ph.D. program in computational neuroscience.
- B.S. summa cum laude, University of Alabama 1976
- J.D. University of Alabama 1979
- Member American Society for Bioethics and Humanities
- Member University of Alabama at Birmingham Honors Counsel
- Member Defense Research Institute
- Member Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Member Alabama Bar Association
- Member Birmingham Bar Association
- Admitted in all Alabama State Courts
- Admitted U. S District Courts, Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Alabama
- Admitted U. S. Courts of Appeals, Eleventh and Fifth Circuits
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Birmingham Business Journal “Best of the Bar”
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Member Institutional Review Board, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Member, Alpha-1 Foundation Research & ELSI Working Groups
- Leadership Birmingham, 1993
- Outstanding Teacher Award 2006 & 2013, Honors Program, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Algernon Sidney Sullivan Award
- Fellow Alabama Law Foudnation